The Hopewell Area School District is governed by nine individually elected board members, the Pennsylvania State Board of Education, the Pennsylvania Department of Education and the Pennsylvania General Assembly. The federal government controls programs it funds like Title I funding for low-income children in the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and the No Child Left Behind Act, which mandates the district focus resources on student success in acquiring reading and math skills.
The Hopewell Area School District includes six educational facilities, as follows:
- Hopewell Senior High School – 1215 Longvue Avenue, Aliquippa, PA 15001
- Hopewell Memorial Junior High School – 2354 Brodhead Road, Aliquippa, PA 15001
- Hopewell Elementary School – 3000 Kane Road, Aliquippa, PA 15001
- Independence Elementary School – 103 School Road, Aliquippa, PA 15001
- Phone: 724-375-6691
- Margaret Ross Elementary School – 1955 Marratta Road, Aliquippa, PA 15001
- Our Lady of Fatima (private) – 3005 Fatima Drive, Aliquippa, PA 15001
The Pennsylvania Department of Education has adopted the Standards-Aligned System (SAS). This is a comprehensive approach to support student achievement across the Commonwealth. The curriculum framework specifies what is to be taught for each subject in the curriculum. In Pennsylvania, curriculum frameworks include Big Ideas, Concepts, Competencies, and Essential Questions aligned to the Standards and Assessment Anchors and, where appropriate, Eligible Content.
On July 1, 2010, the Pennsylvania State Board of Education adopted the Common Core State Standards in English/Language Arts (ELA) and mathematics, making Pennsylvania the 18th state to do so. The Pennsylvania State Board of Education has identified a strong alignment between Common Core State Standards and the Pennsylvania Standards.
2354 Brodhead Road
Aliquippa, PA 15001